Sunday, August 1, 2010

They Will Know We are Christians By Our...

...absolute hatred for each other.
I recently had an email exchange with a Christian author, speaker, and blogger. I stumbled on a tweet he wrote about conservative radio hosts that are going blind and are deaf that was simply tasteless. I called him on it. He responded to my email with venom, defending his "joke". I responded saying I felt bad for him, to which his response was "LOL. Whatever."
This has bothered me. We were saved by the same blood of Jesus. We will go to the same Heaven when we die. We will not go to a separate Heaven based on our denomination, ideology, or church down the street from the church we broke away from. I do not personally like conflict, but I know that when something is dividing us, it needs to be talked out. If someone has an opinion, you can disagree with it, yes, but you do not have to disrespect it. The only time a separation is essential is if it is in disagreement with the Word of God.
To let our disagreements dissolve into hate is simply unacceptable. We can not live in agreement with a brother, therefore we must insult him. In this, we are truly children, and we live with a deficiency of the knowledge of the Word of God. In John 17, Jesus prayed for the unity of the church. There are 66 books that give us instruction in life, leadership, and how to get where we are going. Yet because we are led by our immaturity, our flesh nature, and not by the Spirit, we are divided against ourselves. This is why we are not as strong to reach the world as we should be.

No comments: