Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Regrets, I've Had a Few

It is a famous line from the Sinatra song "My Way." Even though I probably shouldn't, I love that song. (I will be totally truthful, I don't know where this blog will end up, but stay with me- I'll get somewhere.) In my last post, I mentioned the regret of not going to college after graduation, yet the realization that I did the right thing for me. It isn't my biggest regret. Nor is the fact that my developmental years were fairly sheltered, and I missed a lot of socialization my biggest regret.
No, my biggest regret is that I didn't play high school football.
Hibriten High School, my alma mater in Lenoir, NC, now has one of the top football programs in the state. when I went to school there, it, well, wasn't. In fact, my junior year, it boasted the longest losing streak in the state for one week. Hibriten football won 7 games in the four years I was there. Last year, it won 13.
I wanted to be a part of it. After my freshman year, I entered into the weight program, I worked out after school, went to summer workouts, I wanted to be a part of it. The first official day of practice, I did a drill, and my knee popped out of place. Two guys had already quit; I didn't want to join them. Coach Henson yelled at me, "Get up!" As I did, my knee popped back in place, and I kept going. I made that first week, then full hitting practice started.
I wussed out. Doggone it, I wussed out.
I cried after the first few hits, but kept at it. The following Monday, I decided I wasn't going back. My mom, anxious to not have me hurt, welcomed the decision. I was so immature, so sheltered, I just did not keep the commitment that I had said I would keep. Yet I told myself I would work harder and go back the next year. It didn't happen.
Since then, I promised myself internally that I would be one of the biggest supporters of Hibriten football there was. I can't go to all the games, but I keep close tabs. I am proud of all those guys. I am proud of Coach Lewis and Coach Hobbs, who are still there from my days. I am especially proud of my nephew Chase, a senior on the team. I appreciate all the effort that has been done to make this team a program of continued success that never ceases to amaze me.
Internally, I live with this regret. I was not mature enough to take the pressure that went with playing football. I may not have done the team any good, I realize that. Now I do, anyway. I regret being so selfish and letting people down that expected me to keep a commitment I did not make. So Coach (now Rev.) Dula and Coach Moore, wherever you are, I'm sorry I let you down. To me, I'm sorry I let myself down.
To my God, thank you for not giving up on me when I fail. Thank you for helping me to mature, even though I am nowhere near where I want to be in that process. Thank you for Philippians 1:6: For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus (NASB). Thank you that I can come to You with my regrets, and You give me comfort and peace. This is true of not just trivial regrets. You can bring Him whatever you carry, and He will give you that same comfort. Matthew 11:28 says it all: "Come unto me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest (HCSB)."

No comments: