Thursday, July 24, 2014

What am I up to? About page 250.

Is blogging a lost art already? Have our attention spans grown so short that we no longer can look at anything more than two sentences? Do people no longer have time to even write a couple of paragraphs?
Sorry. Didn't mean to start on a tangent.
What does the title mean?
Well, in the last couple of years (since 2012) I have become an avid reader. I used to read only biographies, and even then only sporadically. Since 2012, I've been devouring books. I don't know what triggered the change in me, but I love it. I've read several topics, wrestler biographies, books about the introvert nature, UNC football and basketball, books about Asperger's syndrome, music, even books by cartoonists.
My big interest has been Civil War history. This was true before I started reading in earnest, but my knowledge has expounded since then.
For example: in 2010, I chose in my college English class to write a position paper justifying the South's secession from the Union. I aced that paper, by the way. If I could go back and write that paper in 2014, I would not only re-ace it, I would blow that paper away. The thing is, we have been taught so much wrong information about that time period and the reasoning behind the war, it's scary.
My latest book has been turning heads, primarily because of the size of it. People at work have been doing double takes and asking me about it- primarily because of the size My mother-in-law has even looked at it in bewilderment. To them, I guess I look like Charlie Brown carrying around War and Peace.
  The book is called Memoirs of Service Afloat, by Admiral Raphael Semmes of the Confederate States Navy.
Okay, that picture may not make it look that big. Let's measure it for perspective:
Most people tend to shy away from books with a 3 inch spine. Yes, it's 833 pages, not counting the Preface and Introduction. But after a week in I am a quarter of the way through and am thoroughly enjoying it. Admiral Semmes was an excellent storyteller, defender, and expounded on the justifications for what happened in an amazing fashion.
(By the way, the cause of the war was NOT slavery, like you've been told.)
So the journey continues. I'll expound more about what I learn and have learned from other authors and books in future writings.



No comments: