Friday, July 30, 2010

It Just Isn't Going to Happen- and That's Great!

Over a month ago I wrote a blog called "How Can I Miss You..." regarding the Spirit of Christ being in you, even when things are not so good. I want to revisit that in a way, adding something recent based on some scripture I've been reading.
Our pastor this past Sunday encouraged the church to read Romans ch.8 every day for three weeks. Aloud. And, to get the best benefit from it, make it the first thing you do each day. No denying, it is difficult, when the first thing you hear is your children either crying or in the potty to make it the first thing in the morning. I did well the first four days, and day five (tonight) came at 9:45p.m. My wife and I have been writing down what God has shown us each day. This was not mine for today, yet it is something that I want to show you. It is one of the most famous parts of the chapter, and the beginning of the climax to one of the fabulous chapters of the Bible:
"35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?" I was reading it in my NLT Study Bible, and it said it so beautifully: "Can anything ever separate us from Christ’s love? Does it mean he no longer loves us if we have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or hungry, or destitute, or in danger, or threatened with death?" I love that! "Does it mean he no longer loves us?" Your situation that you are facing is difficult, yes. No words can minimize the trouble that you may face.
But if you are in Christ, the intended reader of chapter 8, then you may have passed the part that says that we will suffer with Christ. Yet these sufferings are not in comparison with the joy that awaits us (v.17-18). We will suffer many things: joblessness, children with diseases, loss of friendships, loss of a dear one, hunger, despair of great proportions. But the Spirit of God, which raised Christ from the dead, lives in you, Christian (v. 11)! He is not going anywhere! Nothing will separate us from Him or His love! Nothing!
Your despair that you face, He hasn't left you to face it alone. He intends it for your good (v. 28). He is for you (31), not against you. You can stand with confidence. Call on Him in this time. He is not far, and He wants to talk to you. He will comfort you, shelter you, and ultimately, deliver you. But rest assured, He is there, and nothing will tear the two of you apart.

Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

Tracie Greene said...

Thanks Jonathan. Just what I needed to hear this morning..I love reading your blogs they are wonderful and somehow make my day a little brighter..God is so Good and I love him more and more everyday..Thanks Traci Greene