Saturday, July 3, 2010

Perhaps Not the Best Advice to Give

I was listening to one of those Christian radio stations that is griped about last year this week. The general manager of the station had recorded a quick bit to remind people to donate to the station by asking this:
"Have you ever inserted your name into a scripture?"
He then goes on to use Isaiah 61, inserting the station into the verse, making an impassioned plea for support.
The thought occurs to me: I have never inserted my name into a verse. I've heard many preachers do that to John 3:16. "For God so loved Jonathan, that he gave his only begotten son..." Yeah, I see how that would work for that verse.
But what about other verses? What about Genesis 4:8? "and it came to pass, that when they were in the field, that Jonathan rose up and slew his brother Abel..." -No, that doesn't work.
What about Genesis 39:12? "And she caught Jonathan by his garment, saying, Lie with me: and Jonathan left his garment in her hand, and fled, and got him out." That doesn't work either. Actually, it puts me in some compromising positions that doesn't really fit me.
So, you can "personalize" the scriptures you use to make the Bible a little more personal. Just be careful which ones you use. Have fun!

No comments: