Saturday, December 18, 2010

Part 2: Looking Up at the Mountain

I promised at the end of the last blog that there was a part two. There is a continuation of the story from the point where my family declares I will trust you, Lord, BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING LEFT. Psalm 121 starts off "I lift my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth" (v. 1-2, ESV). Get ready, folks, this is the "BUT GOD" moment if the story.
Two days after my wife lost her job, we received three envelopes in the mail. One had an address label, one a return address, one- nothing. Each of these had cash in them. We received more the next day. Every day but one in this time, we have been receiving gifts in the mail- blessings from people that we have never met and do not know. We have been careful to mention this, because I did not want to put a limit on the blessing that God is pouring out on us, and because I was just too touched by it to go about it. We recently had committed ourselves to tithing and giving to our church. We know- we were supposed to be doing this the whole time- but had gone away from it as our debt load had become so high. We have decided we are tithing, and will continue to do so. " Bring all the tithes into the storehouse so there will be enough food in my Temple. If you do,” says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies, “I will open the windows of heaven for you. I will pour out a blessing so great you won’t have enough room to take it in! Try it! Put me to the test!" (Mal. 3:10, NLT) The blessing we have received, we will also pass on to others.
This is a bit disjointed, I know, but it is so hard to put into words. As Pastor Steven Furtick put it, "Sometimes God interprets our prayers in strange ways...
You prayed for God to be enough. You were put in a bleak circumstance where He had to be.
You prayed for increased faith. You found yourself in a situation that required it"
(Stevenfurtick.com, Blog for Dec. 16, 2010).
We have been extremely blessed by the situation. To the members of our extended family that mentioned our need, thank you. To the  people, anonymous and unknown, that have answered the call to help meed our need, thank you. To the friends that have reached out, thank you.
Mostly, to the God that is able to exceedingly abundantly do more than we could ask or think, THANK YOU. We are not out of the valley, but the view up the mountain looks incredibly sweet.

No comments: