Wednesday, December 29, 2010

(Because everyone's doing one) My Year in Review

("Through it All," words and music by Andrae Crouch)
This song has always been one of my favorites, and I've sang it in church quite a bit. I never thought that in a year I would live out a song. But I have.
"I've had many tears and sorrows-" April 13, 2010- I lost my job. We lost our health insurance. I never thought I would be out of work. Nov. 29, 2010- My wife gets a call @ 3 a.m. that her mom is unresponsive. After several weeks, she is recovering in remarkable fashion, and as I type this, is eating at K&W Cafeteria in Statesville. Dec. 7, 2010- My wife loses her job.
"I've had questions for tomorrow-" try being a NO income family and read that line.
"There've been times I didn't know right from wrong-" This usually occurs when driving behind an old person in downtown Lenoir that doesn't realize if they put their foot on that accelerator, they can go faster than 25.
"But in every situation God gave blessed consolation-" I got to spend lots of quality time with my kids. I would have never had this time if I were working. Most of Sophie's first year of life was spent with me. No one can take that away from me. Levi and I have played so much, and to have this time with him as well has been special. Also, we are learning in a great church (thank you, Elevation).
"He only gave me trials to make me strong." I am still a work in progress, mind you, but I have learned so much from this-humility (standing in line at Social Services offices), gratitude (from the kindness of people I have never met), audacious faith (thank you, Elevation), and determination (more on that later).
We've lost friendships this year in our family. I read those blogs sometimes, and it makes me sorry it had to happen. I do hope their family is doing well, and that the Holy Spirit is reviving that church.
December 23, 2010- I learned that I would be losing my funding to finish my last semester at school. I sent a message to appeal that, which will not be heard until next week, right before school starts. THEY CAN HAVE IT.
Dec. 29, 2010- I was offered a job today.Over the years I applied at this place SO MANY TIMES. I never thought I could get on there. But today, the breakthrough finally happened. Barring anyone lacing my food in the past few months, I will start mid-January. I also won my Fantasy Football league. The two do not compare, but it has been a GOOD, Good, day. Did I mention my mother-in-law is eating today at a cafeteria?
"Through it all, through it all, I've learned to trust in Jesus, I learned to trust in God./ Through it all, through it all, I've learned to depend upon His word." My big lesson from the year was trust. When I thought I could lose nothing else, I did. When It was all stripped away, He came to the rescue.
So here I sit. Was it a bad year? By earthly standards, yes. I have literally been through a living hell. But really, it was not a bad year. I have grown so much closer to God through what He taught me. These are lessons I may not have otherwise learned. I thank God for each one of them, and I cannot wait to enter 2011 to see what lies ahead.

4 comments:

courtney7880 said...

I love this post. I love how you break it all down. As someone that has walked beside you guys over this past year, I would like to take the time to tell you thank you for being an inspiration to me and my family. We are in a hard time right now as well, and know that God is working out something great on the other side. Congratulations on your job! We are praying for you guys and can't wait to see what else God is going to do in your family and ours!

Anonymous said...

Jonathan.....what can I say? Your post is a sad but has a beautiful ending. You have been through a lot but your faith is amazing and a testimony to many. Your faith was always a testimony to me when I worked with you. I am so excited that you found a job and I pray it is one that will give to you fulfillment and joy unlike your last job. I pray that 2011 will be a great year for the Widner Family with many blessings in so many ways. I pray that this job will be a "career" for you rather than just a job. I miss you, Sheyna and the children. God is a good God and I praise Him for what He has done for you!!! God Bless you, Stephanie

Debbie said...

awesome post.
I'm so glad that this year has ended on a better note for you guys!

"God is good, all the time
All the time, God is good!"

I pray that this coming year will continue with more blessings

Anonymous said...

Wow1 What a wonderful testimony of God's goodness! I really appreciate your honesty and authenticity. Congrats on your new job and may God continue to bless you and Sheyna and those precious children of yours in this new year! Happy New Year to you and yours! Deede