Sunday, May 16, 2010

How Not to Motivate the People

It has become increasingly clear to me that I am not the man I used to be. I can tell that by reviewing my blogs from the past year. I am a traditionalist that likes hymns, a person that is quiet in church, and one that is quite comfortable in my ways. Yet I am in a position of unemployment, not sure where I will work next, when I will work next, and now attending one of the fastest growing churches in America with some pretty loud music. I don't mind- the preaching is quite biblically sound.
So, with me out of my comfort zone, and without a job, what should I do? Should I worry or live my life in fear? Nope. It would be completely unproductive, and would not provide a paycheck for my family. I have thought about it. The idea has entered my head for some of the worst self-help books ever written. One would be "How to Grow Taller by Worrying," and the other would be "Living Your Life Based on What Everyone Thinks About you." Granted, these books may sell more copies than Nancy Pelosi's book did, but they would be equally worthless.
Jesus tackled worry more than once. He asked us how worrying could make us grow any taller, and reminded us how ravens eat, even though they don't do any work, and that the lilies of the field are more finely dressed than Solomon in his day.
The important thing is this: don't worry about your life. It won't help it get any better. Also, don't put any stock into what anyone thinks about you except God. Other people's opinions will only upset you. It will not affect how your family thinks of you, and will not affect who you are in Christ. So let them call you garbage, unhealthy, or whatever they want. You live your life. Trust God. Plug into His word. Then watch as your life flourishes. I'm not saying you'll get rich- I'm saying you'll be more content and enjoy what you have a little bit more.

1 comment:

courtney7880 said...

Great blog, J! I needed to hear this this morning-and it helped me to put some things into perspective! Good stuff!