Thursday, January 5, 2012

When Bad Churchgoers Happen

Bad churchgoers happen.
So do bowel movements.
Sound a little harsh? Good. I was going for effect.
Take this for example: I recently heard the story of a family that stopped going to a church after a daughter of a church member stole a credit card and made unauthorized charges! The reaction? "Oh- we're sorry."
This family of four that had the card stolen have bounced in and out of church, became connected in this church. The two children of the family were greatly affected by the youth ministry, the youngest one was saved on a youth trip (the older one previously accepting Christ), and both were baptized there. Now they have an emotional scar and a sour taste in their mouth. Why?
Churchgoers.
How many people have been turned off by the actions of others either in the church or those professing the name of Christ? How many baptist churches have started down the street from another baptist church simply because of the offense of one person against the other?  (Call it beating a dead horse, I've always had an issue with this.) How many people who are young in their faith been turned away by simply one action? How many that visit a church searching for God end up turned away forever?
It doesn't have to be this way, but the thing is this causes people to turn away. People that act out of their own nature turn people away from an environment that is supposed to display the love of God.
I've toyed with this thought over the past week or so, and it's made me think. I held a position in a small church for seven years. What if my actions were a stumbling block to others? What if something I said or an action I took caused someone to stay away? I shudder to think I let myself get in the way of what God wanted to do in a person's life because my personal thoughts or actions caused an offense to someone.
Yes, this is an introspective post, and an admonition to those of us that claim the name of Jesus to watch our actions in the light of scripture. We are to present our lives as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God (see Romans 12). Living in the light of the Word of God will help us keep from offending others.
But also this is to warn those who are offended: don't use the actions of others as an excuse to keep you out of church or away from Jesus. I think of Jesus' interaction with Peter & John after his resurrection. Peter asks about God's plan for John, and Jesus replies simply: "Don't worry about John. You follow me."
Finally, let me say this. In my life there have been people like Ollie Coffey, Granny Snow Townsend, and Bertha Moretz. There have been pastors that have shown a great light, like my dad, Tim Greene, and more. I am thankful to be learning at a great place right now at Elevation Church, both in person, online, and using their podcasts. What I mean by this is that most churchgoers are true followers of Christ. They have shown how to live the life. They are careful to live by the statutes of the Word of God and know it by heart. They show the genuine love of God to friends and strangers alike.
Bad churchgoers are an exception. They are not the rule. But they do happen. Try not to be one. If you should find one, pray for them. Forgive them. Chances are they need it, and you can help them along the way. They need that, too.

No comments: