Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Church Signs: God vs. Grammar

I have always said the Gospel is powerful. It is even more powerful when spelled correctly. Where I live there are an abundance of churches. Many of these were started down the road from another church where some of the members got angry and split. Some of these were started after someone that thought they were hearing from God decided they needed to start a church with only their family attending.
Whoa- did I get off on a tangent? So unlike me! Let's get back on track, because this blog is meant for fun and instruction. I want these churches to genuinely reach souls for God, but their error needs to be pointed out because it's just funny.
For example:




Now- you read this and you think There-no, not there, just over to the right, yeah. Right there. A Heaven to gain. But how do you shoun? I have no idea. I had a French teacher in 5th grade, Ms. Shoun. Maybe she knows how to do it. You see, if you were completely unfamiliar with the phrase (THERE'S a Heaven to gain and a Hell to SHUN), you would have no clue with what they were trying to say.
Next:



O. O. Oh, O-kay. I get it. The context with this current phrase is nothing is to big for my God. To being a helping verb to the obvious verb big. So what does it mean to big? I have no idea. Maybe it is a new slang term, and this church is really on top of things. For me, if it said "Nothing is TOO big for my God, I might understand.
Another one that, doggone it, they changed the sign before I got a picture of it- picture this now-
"JESUS" DONE HIS JOB- HAVE YOU DONE YOUR?
Have I done my what? Taxes? The errors are many. And yes, the letters were in red, just like that. 
One more that I saw several months ago, but I don't have a picture because I haven't had to be in that part of the county for some time:
"WITHOUT THE BREAD OF LIFE YOUR TOAST"
Knowing that your is a possessive word I contemplated this sign after passing it. "My toast is what? Burnt? Most likely. Stale? Possibly. Covered in apple butter? Yum! When you write it like that, I guess it does leave you to think more than if you spell "YOU'RE" correctly.
Well, that's enough offensive fun for now. If you have seen any such signs, leave them in the comments. Maybe I will do another edition of this. 

No comments: