Friday, March 11, 2011

The definition of entitlement

Merriam-Webster defines entitlement as "belief that one is deserving of or entitled to certain privileges." That describes the mindset, sadly of most of us. This also holds the misery of most all of us.
What do I mean?
Take a look at Wisconsin. Unions and Democrats are rioting because they think the state is attempting to take away any privileges they have. "Public" entities are protesting the moves of Congress and state legislatures all over simply because they think any cuts will put an end to their current conditions or situation. Many have decried out of control government spending, yet when someone tries to get it under control, they decry any cut that will affect them, their family, or anything they hold an interest in.
People call customer service lines because they feel the slightest inconvenience. People complain if they were ignored by a person working in a store. People complain because the people in a store were too nice to them. No, I am not making that up. People complain because they have to write a check instead of having it ran through a machine for them. 
We have a consumption-driven economy in this nation, and an entitlement society. We have been made to believe that we are entitled to things simply because they exist.  It reminds me of a poem by Stephen Crane:
A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation." 
So many of us now ignore this and believe that we are entitled to have whatever we want when we want it, and if something goes wrong, it is our right to have somebody's head on a platter until we are satisfied.
What am I getting at? Simply this. Take a look at the first part of Lamentations 3:22 : "It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed." THIS is what we are entitled to. 
Consumption. Death. Hell fire. Separation from God. 
When I look at this, I realize that the fact that I am alive is a blessing. When I look at the rest of the verse and the next, I rejoice:
"because his compassions fail not. 23They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness."
I am entitled to death, but I have received mercy from a faithful God. What I receive on top of that is a gift from God that I am thankful for every day. Looking at my life from this scope makes for a perspective I wish more people shared.

No comments: