Saturday, May 30, 2009

Why I am no longer the elephant in the room


Yes, these guys are heroes, but...
It is official. Or it will be when I send in my registration change form in next week.
I am no longer a "Republican."
Do not worry, those that will come across this. I am not becoming a democrat. I am not so infatuated with the "messiah" that I have converted my ways. I am still conservative to the core. I still believe that right is right, wrong is wrong, and that Ronald Reagan was the greatest President of the 20th century.
The problem lies in the fact that the leaders and spokespeople of the Republican party do not believe that. They believe that we must win elections first, and that to win elections, we must not offend anyone that might vote for us, make nice with our enemies, and try to be friends with the media.
This line of thinking, espoused by John McCain, Colin Powell, and John Cornyn, are sending the Republican party the way of the Whigs. How many Whigs are in the house?
(I'm listening for a response. Strangely, all I hear are some of these guys...)
So I am not looking for a new party to call home. Libertarian party recruiters, please stay away. I toyed voting for Bob Barr last year, but instead voted for Sarah Palin.
I have entered this summer missing the fact that I am not in class this semester, but searching for thought. But the only thought the Republican party is having is not offending anyone and getting elected. They don't seem to realize that's how they lost elections for about 40 years, save Presidential elections. There must be principles. There must be values. People will align with someone that takes a stand. That's what drew us to Reagan. That's why Palin got a big response from conservatives last year, and why the culture tried to trash her! That's why Bobby Jindal was attacked this year. That's why "republican" strategists are brought onto CNN & MSNBC each day to try to refute what Rush Limbaugh said. They fear TRUTH.
The truth is, the Republican party is not for me. I think. Therefore, I am on my own. But yet I feel, no, I think, no, I BELIEVE I an not alone.

No comments: