Thursday, May 28, 2009

This will anger many race fans

I am not a Johnny-come-lately when it comes to NASCAR racing. I guess my earliest memories are from 1985, when Bill Elliott blew everyone away in that red T-Bird. That said, I went to my second live race on Sunday (and Monday). I went to the Coca-Cola 600, which this year was the Coca-Cola 340. People ask me who my favorite driver is. I have been a fan of Tony Stewart, but have really latched on to Kyle Busch. It’s easier to say who I’m not a fan of. That would be Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, and Dale Earnhardt, Jr.
I almost feel for Dale. He had to become the face of the sport. He has to live up to the name of his father. I did not cheer for or like his father when he was racing, but grew to respect him. People call him the greatest driver of all time, which I must disagree with. I believe that falls on Richard Petty. The difference between the two is that Dale unfortunately did not get to race past his prime. Richard raced eight years after winning his last race, and thirteen after his last championship. To some, that tarnished his image. Earnhardt had gone six seasons after his last title, and was showing signs of slacking, but was still fierce to the end.
Back to Junior. People believe that he will be great because he has his father’s name. It’s time to be blunt and anger some people: his father’s name is all he has. Dale Earnhardt, Jr. is not the next Dale Earnhardt, Sr. If anything, he’s the next Kyle Petty. No offense to Kyle. He’s a good driver, won some races, done great things with Victory Junction. But the point is it is almost impossible for the son to eclipse the father. The only notable exceptions I know of are, well, Richard Petty, Ken Griffey, Jr., Cal Ripken, Jr., and for a wrestling reference, Randy Orton.
It’s natural to want the apple to fall close to the tree. But the evidence is out there. Look at the last person to drive the 8 car part-time: Mark Martin. He has already won two races. Johnson and Gordon have won one. Each has done well this season except one: Earnhardt. Is Hendrick Motorsports giving him worse equipment? I don’t believe Hendrick has bad equipment. Is it Tony Eury, Jr., the crew chief? He will probably be the next thing to change, but they seemed to work well together. In Monday’s race, they changed everything but the driver. He could do no right.
But Earnhardt, Sr.’s fans want a legacy. They want an heir to his throne. I believe they are booing him. Kyle Busch has the most natural talent I have seen in a driver since Jeff Gordon, and I dare say, Dale Sr. Plus, he is as brash as Dale Sr., is forceful on the track, and is not intimidated by other racers. He finds a home out front, and tends to stay close at all times. These are not popular statements I am making, but look at the results: Kyle has them, and is continuing to accrue them. That means gather, for you Junior fans. So take an honest look: the heir apparent is not from North Carolina. He is from Las Vegas.

No comments: