Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Depressed Christianity, continued

(Starting off with a note: I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. If you think you have struggles with depression, you are not alone. There is help.)

None of what I write should be considered a diagnosis of depression. It comes in many forms. I just speak from what I believe God has impressed on me to write, my opinions of His Word, and also from the voice of experience. No, I have never been to a doctor or psychologist and sought out an official diagnosis, but I have felt so down in my life it has seemed like nothing helps.
If you read the previous listing (and if you haven't you can do that here), you'll get a little overview of my thoughts on depression in the church. Seeing an old friend last week who has experienced great tragedy in her life in recent years, and hearing her testimony, just solidifies that. Christians get depressed. It doesn't make them worse sinners. It doesn't mean they aren't saved. It means they are humans, and the emotions we face affect us greatly. Sometimes it means we don't feel anything at all, even when we should be happy.

If you have a friend that you believe, or in fact you know they deal with depression, there are some things you can do and not to to help them.
DON'T: Criticize. They didn't plan on being depressed.
DON'T: Tell them to snap out of it. They didn't snap into it.
DON'T: Hit them with cliches. For example, telling someone that is having a hard time at work "at least you have a job" DOES NOT HELP. IT NEVER HELPS. The depressed person is not looking for perspective.
You know, I used to love quotations, and have books of encouraging quotes. I have no desire to find those things.

Job's friends were a lot like this. Trying to convince him all the stuff he suffered was all his doing, admit to his sin, God is punishing him, all that he-jazz.
Don't be like Job's friends. You wonder why nobody names their kids Eliphaz, Bildad, and Zophar? Besides the fact that you can't spell them? This is why.

The best thing they did for Job was what they did at the beginning.
They sat in silence with them.

DO: Be there. You don't have to say anything. You don't really have to be in the room, you can be a room away or a phone call away. Just be there, and be willing listen.
DO: Pray without ceasing. Whenever you think of that person, talk to God on their behalf. 
DO: Love.

Finally, one more don't.
DON'T Give up on that person. They may not say it, but they need you. If the person is depressed to the point you think harm may come, help them seek help.

Comments are welcome below, or you can email me at jlwide@hotmail.com.

No comments: