Thursday, May 19, 2011

I am not a trusting source.

In the midst of the battle I have had recently with the depression that has had me down, I confessed something to God. What it was was truly scary, and what I honestly felt:
I did not trust God to have my best interests in store for me.
Something happened after I confessed that to God on my way to work last Thursday. The heavens did not open and angels sing a chorus to me. Nor did I get struck by lightning or swallowed up by the earth because of my unbelief.
What happened was I asked Him for help, and he provided it to me. He lifted me out of the depression and showed my that He is God, and he is worthy to be trusted. Saturday at church, He reiterated that point. Through the sermon in Genesis 24, God used Pastor Steven Furtick's message and a verse that isn't in the Bible. Abraham (a lesson on trusting God, going into a land he never had been to or knew because God asked him to) asks his servant to go into his homeland and find a wife for his son Isaac. So the servant loads 40 camels and makes the trip. The next verse shows him at the destination. What isn't listed? The long journey from one land to another. The 500 mile trip. No doubt it was hard, but in the end the trip wasn't even worth mentioning.
God showed me that I am in the middle of the trip, but I will make it to the other side, and He will lead me there. He is worth trusting.
I am mentally out of the pit I had been in the last two weeks, and it feels great. Yeah, the struggles are still there. The job is pretty hard. There are questions that still have to be answered on a daily basis, and we currently don't have those answers, but God is showing Himself faithful to be trusted. He has shown me again in my daily Bible reading.
Take a look at people that learned that God is faithful:
Abraham.
Isaac.
Joseph.
Gideon.
David.
Peter.
My parents.
My mother-in-law.
Me.
Countless millions of others.
Daily He is showing himself faithful. He is not a fan of doubt, but He wants you to confess your fears and faults to him, and He will lift you out and show himself mighty. It is not always easy. But it is worth it.

No comments: