Monday, March 2, 2015

CD Review: GVB's "Sometimes it Takes a Mountain:" Not too Crabby, Not too Shabby

In late 2012 the Gaither Vocal Band released Pure and Simple. Pure and simple (pun intended), it's one of the best Southern Gospel CD releases ever. If you don't believe me, listen to their version of "The Love of God.:
Last year, Michael English and Mark Lowry decided to leave the group for the second time, putting an end to the all-star lineup. Before they did, they released a Hymns CD. As much as I hate to say it, it was uninspired. Contrived. Simply another hymns CD release.
The new lineup was announced, which gave me great trepidation, primarily because of one thing: Adam Crabb. If you know me, you know I do not like the Crabb Family. I do not care for their style, their presentation, the fact that when they performed the sound went up 200 decibels, basically anything.
So get ready for this. I will present this like I did the TaRanda review.
I am actually saying this: Adam Crabb and Wes Hampton sound really good together on the title song. I'm an adult. I can admit that. It's one of my favorite cuts.
Song that requires a warning label: the first song, "Jesus Gave Me Water," features running water on the track in the beginning. Do not listen if you have to go to the bathroom.
Song that you will want to repeat- repeatedly: "Written in Red," the Gordon Jensen song originally made famous by Janet Paschal. This cover, featuring David Phelps, can melt the hardest heart, and is simply beautiful.
Conspicuous by his absence: Bill Gaither?!? I think I hear him ONCE on the CD. He is said to be splitting bass and baritone duties with new member Todd Suttles, but I don't think I ever hear his voice. Todd Suttles is incredible, by the way.
On that point, this appears to be the beginning of the passing of the torch (just my opinion here). David Phelps and Ben Isaacs have been splitting producer duties of the last couple of CDs. You can hear more of David Phelps' influence in this, both in orchestration and harmony. It is quickly becoming his group.
The Gaither name has been associated with Gospel music for over 50 years. It's tough to think that there will soon be a day that Bill may not be traveling, writing, making videos...but that day is soon. He seems to be preparing for it. Prepare for it with us.

No comments: