Monday, January 5, 2015

CD Review: TaRanda IS Stronger

The year is 1997.
I am splitting time between my home church of Stone Mountain Community Church on Sundays and Westview Baptist Church of Boone on Wednesdays. Westview, at the time, is pastored by Tim Greene, one of the Greenes, a Southern Gospel group that has had a lot of success. Late that year they bring on a new soprano, 18 year-old TaRanda Kiser. In her 13 years with the group she marries Tony, helps in Tim's Loft Studio (including graciously singing background vocals on the two CDs my brother and I recorded), travels the country singing the good news, and has two beautiful girls.
In 2010, Tim is no longer able to travel at that time with the group. Tony has passed. TaRanda takes some time to herself, which she should have.
Fall 2014: TaRanda releases Stronger, produced by Geron Davis and released on Ernie Haase's Stowtown records label. Major kudos to Ernie for picking her up. The CD features 12 songs focusing on not just her journey, but that God has brought her so far, delivered her from so much, and given her a brand new life. Here's how I'm gonna break this down:
People will be disappointed in this CD if: They are looking for TaRanda Greene, Southern Gospel soprano. It's my belief that she is so much more than that now, and if you put her into that little box, you won't like what you hear. This is not a Southern Gospel CD. This is a Christian CD, full of contemporary, Southern, traditional gospel, worship, and even a little country music. Open your horizons and see who she is now, and YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.

The must-listen to portion of this CD: Track 5, "Deepest Praise," and the seamless transition into track 6, "Healer." I have raved about "Deepest Praise" for weeks because it is that good. When I heard her sing it at Bald Mountain Baptist Church in West Jefferson a couple of months ago, I was blown away. You HAVE to listen to it. It transitions into the Hillsong favorite "Healer," and lets you know just how far she has come. (It's my second favorite version of that song, next to the one my cousins Tim, Nathan, Mark, and Mark's daughter Tiffany sang at my cousin Lilly's funeral.)
My least favorite track: It's hard to say there is a bad one, so I'll pick "Awake My Soul," simply because it's written by one of the known heretics called Phillips, Craig, and Dean.
Pleasant Surprise of the CD: "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain." Yes, you know this song from Willie Nelson. I was concerned when I saw that Jason Crabb was a guest vocalist on this track. If you know me or if you've read my stuff from the last 8 years, you will know I can't stand to hear the Crabb Family. Buy he's just singing harmony, and can't really be heard. It's a beautiful track and tribute, and TaRanda's harmony with Sonya Isaacs-Yeary is amazing.
MY VERDICT: BUY THIS CD. You can buy it here, download it on iTunes, or however you get your music these days. Support this wonderful friend, woman of God, and all-around great person. Listen to her story in song, and hear what wonderful things God has done.

Track list:
1. Stronger
2. Where Amazing Happens
3. Shackles
4. Awake My Soul
5. Deepest Praise
6. Healer
7. Promise
8. A Little More Jesus
9. If I Could
10. Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain
11. All I Need
12. The Sound

No comments: