Monday, November 5, 2012

Nearsightedness

"Nearsightedness is when light entering the eye is focused incorrectly, making distant objects appear blurred. Nearsightedness is a type of refractive error of the eye."
- From the National Center for Biotechnology Information website
I have been blessed with pretty good eyesight for most of my life. But I fear that I may soon have to visit an eye doctor for the first time. I believe I am becoming nearsighted as I get older. Today I sat with people at their desk and absolutely could not see a thing that was happening on their computers. I used to pride myself on being able to read the fine print. I still can- if that fine print is right in front of my face.
I was thinking about some circumstances in my life that have very recently changed. I don't believe they have changed for the better. Family and friends have been praying for me and encouraging me, hoping to help me out of my pit. My dad reminded me of Romans 8:28, my mother-in-law gave me some encouraging scripture and some misplaced scripture (Daniel 5:23), which gave me a good laugh. My wife has been very encouraging to me, and I may not have told her how much I appreciate that.
The point is- I may be growing physically nearsighted, but I have always been spiritually nearsighted. It reminds me of 1 Corinthains 13:12: "For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known" (NASB).
I don't like my circumstances because I don't think my circumstances favor me. That's typically how it is for us. Christians want to do great things for God and want God to great things for Him. But not everyone can be at the pinnacle. If you want to be a preacher, you can't start out at the megachurch. If you want to play in the band, you can't learn your part on stage.
Surrender is not easy. It is hard to be put in the grunt work. It's tough to be where you are when you don't see a way out. God does not always let us see the big picture at this side, in this time. Only with time does He let us see the big picture and cure our nearsightedness. Romans 8:18 says "For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us" (NASB).
I can't say I'm there yet. It is a work in progress. I don't trust Him like I should. I admit that. "I believe; help my unbelief" (Mark 9:24) . 
In the meantime: anyone know a good eye doctor?

No comments: