Sunday, October 31, 2010

Who Boo Boo Hoo Hub Bub (HUH?)

I am becoming more bold in the territory in which I tread these days. I have a great respect for many of my Christian brothers and sisters that do not participate in Halloween. Personally I do not celebrate it, though I do participate in it. There is a great amount of evil activity that happens on that day, and a large amount of evil that penetrates the TV, the radio, and other places. It becomes difficult for a parent to shelter a child from such images. It helps that without much prodding from his parents these days, our son hides his eyes, or puts his face down, or runs into the other room when commercials come on for those things.
Now that that's out of the way, I have changed my perspective about how to approach Halloween. My verse reference is this: “You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men. You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house." (Matt. 5:13-15, NJKV)
I know, I will be countered with the verse that says abstain from the appearance of evil, and what fellowship does the believer have with the nonbeliever, so on, so forth. Hear me, though. This is the one day a year more than any other that Christians use the power of darkness as an excuse to hide their light under a bushel and keep to themselves. 
Yes, in many places it makes sense to provide a safe place for kids to come out and enjoy the day. Yes, there are perverts and freaks out there that would like to take advantage of the day. Yes, the for the evil of the world this is one of the top days for their practice. But greater is HE that is in you than he that is in the world! (1 John 4:4) I read a couple of blogs yesterday that influenced me in this. Use this day as a day of outreach. Provide a safe place at your house for people to come. Invite them to your church. Spread the love of Christ in a direct (or indirect) way.
Use this day as just another day to show the world that Satan is defeated! The very day is meant to be the prelude to All Saints' Day. Realize in a way that Halloween is symbolic of the Enemy's "last hurrah." In the end, the Lamb has overcome. Think of this day as the enemy's last gasp. Use the day to show the love of God, and let the kiddies have a Hershey bar or two. Make sure they pick up some for me, as well.

No comments: